Engineering Manager, Data Engineering
Discover It Here.
At Nordstromrack.com and HauteLook, we strive to empower shoppers through choice and discovery of the hottest fashion at great prices. At the intersection of technology, fashion and design, we value employees who have great in- “sites” to fashion and e-commerce, act fast, think creatively and embody our customer-first mentality. Our fast-paced, dynamic culture attracts creative, passionate individuals with a determined, can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit. Work hard and play hard in a fun, casual and collaborative work environment in the heart of Downtown LA.
As Engineering Manager, Data Engineering, you will be directly managing seven engineers. This is a high-profile role that reports directly to the Senior Director of Engineering, who supports all Nordstromrack.com | HauteLook Technology. The Redshift Data Warehouse, relevant data pipeline, MicroStrategy and several external feeds are owned by this team. The team uses Python and Pentaho to move data from many internal and external sources into the S3 data lake, and from there into Redshift. The overall E-Commerce Engineering team focuses on writing software to solve core business competencies. For everything else, there is a SaaS solution.
Some initiatives we are currently focused on:
- Ingesting data into our data lake to allow our Redshift data warehouse to scale
- Allowing Google Analytics data stored in Big Query to be accessible through the data platform
- Prototyping an evented data pipeline proof of concept with the plan to move away from ETL processes that pull data out of MySQL and MS SQL databases
A day in the life…
You will be collaborating with the analytics and engineering teams to efficiently and consistently ship features and improvements that resonate with our customers. You are not expected to be the lead engineer, but you will need to spend some time writing code in the form of bug fixes or minor features. It will be necessary to cultivate a deep understanding of where data resides and be aware of the overall system architecture.
- Efficiently and consistently deliver large, complex projects, setting the example for collaboration across teams and departments (both technical and non-technical)
- Partner with Analytics and Engineering teams to build a data platform that answers key questions about our customers and business
- Analyze technology to identify and proactively pay down technical debt in key areas
- Anticipate and remove blockers that are impeding the team’s success
- Ensure the health of the data platform, striving for minimal defects and downtime
- Lead and coach a team of high-performing engineers with consistent 1:1 meetings and timely feedback
- Work with the Senior Director of Engineering to attract, hire and retain top engineering talent, building a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
You own this if you have…
- Experience leading a team of engineers
- Experience working at a large consumer facing company
- Expert in SQL and proficient in Python
- Experience with a BI tool, such as MicroStrategy or Tableau
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. We listen to what's most important and continue to evolve our offering to support both our employees and their families.
Beyond strong health, retirement and time off benefits, Nordstrom is proud to offer:
- Commuter Benefits
- 100% Paid Parental Leave
- Charitable Giving and Volunteer Match
- Merchandise Discount
- Nordstrom Stock Purchase Plan
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.