Director of Mechanical Engineering
Come join one of the fastest growing firms in the US!
We are seeking a well-established Director of Mechanical Engineering to play a critical, leadingrole in our fast-growing, non-traditional, technology company. In this role, the Director of Mechanical Engineering will drive the concept, mechanical design and development from cradle to grave for next generation LED lighting fixtures.
Our company is not focused on irrelevant rules and wasteful processes. Instead we value and reward specific behaviors aligned with our culture and company objectives. We value the ability to collaborate, learn and provide the freedom necessary for each person to do their work, with the expectation that we will get high performance in return.
The Director of Mechanical Engineering will have strong and effective communication and organization skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These skills will be critical when managing multiple simultaneous development efforts and marshaling outside resources for design, prototyping, and testing of new fixtures and concepts as required
In depth expertise in engineering is required in order to push the limits of existing technology and create cutting edge and aesthetic lighting solutions, and while doing this, work with leadership team to achieve business goals.
Clever design is not enough. A holistic approach encompassing engineering design, cost, operational efficiency, manufacturability, transportation/packaging, reliability and end of life is required to achieve the outcome desired. A product is only great when everyone who touches or interacts with it from the moment of inception through its retirement uniformly recognizes itsexcellence.
Broad experience with high technology products requiring electronics packaging, thermal management, and aesthetic requirements is very important.
A heart for developing people is key to success in this role. The ability to coach and mentor team members, to offer development opportunities to enable them to reach their highest potential, is necessary for the success of the organization as a whole.
The ability to act as a Player/Coach is also necessary. There are times when the team needs to know the tasks and priorities that must be completed. There are other times when they need to be shown how to do it. And there are times when they just need a helping hand. The Director of this group needs to be willing and able to do all three.
- Identify and prioritize development initiatives, timetables, implementation and deployment of product development critical tasks
- Effective management of critical tasks including, but not limited to: conceptual development, design analysis, 3D modeling, DFx, prototype development, test planning, EVT/DVT qualification, safety certifications, reliability validation, technical documentation, packaging development and validation, manufacturing and assembly aids and sustaining engineering/cost down efforts
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline. MS preferred.
- 10 years progressive experience managing engineering teams
- 5 years managing engineers in the delivery of consumer-facing electromechanical products
- In depth knowledge of manufacturing technologies such as thermoplastic and thermoset molding, thermoforming die casting, plastic and metal extrusion, metal stamping
- Demonstrated success in launching products into high volume (500k+/year) and low volume (10k/year) contract manufacturing and internal plant environments
- Deep understanding of modern design principles
- Experience in developing/launching LED-based products beneficial but not required
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 25%)
A detailed and compelling compensation package will be outlined for the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. This position is not eligible for sponsorship.