Design Engineer - Installation Tooling
The Hyperstructures team is responsible for design and development of the backbone infrastructure, portals, and mechanisms that make travel on the transportation system of the future possible. As a Hyperstructures Design Engineer your designs and analysis will be instrumental in developing a safe, cost effective, and robust structures and mechanisms for the Hyperloop infrastructure. We are seeking candidates with broad skillsets and various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
- Design of complex structures and mechanisms through the entire product development cycle using Unigraphics NX and Teamcenter
- Work with systems team to innovate and develop Hyperstructures production architecture
- Analyze and verify preliminary and detail designs with hand calculations and FEA, with minimal support from analysis engineers to create detailed component and system models
- Lead the creation of technical design documents including component and sub-system DFMEAs, component requirements, and specifications
- Produce and review design definition documentation including part, assembly and interface drawings, and design reports
- Collaborate with controls engineers to develop control system logic and actuation design for mechanical elements
- Interface with manufacturing engineers, internal manufacturing, suppliers, and customers to ensure DFM, DFA, and system serviceability
- Work with test and development team to develop test and verification plans and test methods to validate components and integrated assemblies
The Design Engineer is highly detail oriented and able to consistently meet the required quality standards and agreed deadlines with the ability to design complex layouts and generate drawings from general written or verbal direction of senior design engineers. Desired softer skills include the ability to remain cool under pressure, efficiency in prioritizing and executing tasks, and the ability to make decisions in the face of incomplete information. With a proven track record of solving complex technical challenges, the candidate must be highly self-motivated and have a keen attention to detail. The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be capable of communicating across time zones and cultures to collaborate with international development and construction partners.
Candidates who also relate to these values are highly encouraged to apply:
- Accountability: Trustworthy and straightforward, you live by your handshake
- Audaciousness: Passionate and bold, you are fearless about speaking up
- Curiosity: You are inquisitive, challenging assumptions and asking “why”
- Get Sh*t Done: The ultimate doer, you are a maker, builder, tinkerer
- Grit: Ambitious and tenacious, you are driven and determined to succeed despite challenges
- Integrity: Honest and ethical, you promote transparency and fairness
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent, and 2+ years of experience
- Experience using Unigraphics NX or similar software
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative design solutions to complex engineering problems
- Strong understanding of applied mechanical engineering and manufacturing methods
- Proficient in ASME Y14.5 GD&T (checking experience preferred)
- Strong working knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials (hands-on experience preferred)
- Strong working knowledge of all the relevant parts of an integrated product, including; electro-mechanical systems, power systems, hydraulic, and mechanical design
- Understanding of varied metrology techniques and their applications
- Design of robust outdoor systems in harsh environments.
- Design of servo hydraulic systems.
- Residential or commercial construction.
- Hands-on experience solving problems in the field with limited resources.
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.