Battery Systems Modeling and Simulation Engineer
Romeo Power Technology is looking for a highly motivated, Battery Systems Modeling and Simulation Engineer to join our growing team in the Los Angeles, CA area. As part of a multi-disciplinary Systems Engineering team, this person will develop, specify, model and simulate high and low voltage battery systems. You will be creating and employing a variety of cell and battery pack models, along with customer, and laboratory test data to create a high-fidelity model. The building blocks will be used to develop control systems and author requirements for firmware development.
This is a hands-on position with plenty of responsibility for the successful delivery of leading-edge energy storage solutions in the Electric Vehicle, Consumer, and Industrial markets. The environment is fast-paced and requires the application of critical thinking in demanding situations.
2. Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Integrate physics-based models of battery modules into battery systems
- Perform numerical simulations to identify performance limitations and optimize pack designs
- Develop and enhance existing multi-scale high performance aging and electrical-thermal models for Li-ion and high-energy batteries
- Design and develop control systems for battery management systems and thermal management systems
- Design and build thermal models of battery and develop algorithms for SOP, SOC
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Thermal engineering, Firmware, Validation, and Battery Safety teams for model parameterization and characterization
- Design functional models that will help to select components and make design decisions
- Model full systems and run drive profiles and short circuit simulations
- Verify and validate model performance through testing
- Support defining and allocating system, firmware, hardware, test requirements and verification methods
- Operate within a cross functional team, understand the needs and requirements of internal stakeholders in addition to our external customers
- Develop automated data analytics capabilities to aid in the analysis of test data
- BS degree in EE, ME, CS, Math, Physics, Chemistry, MS preferred
- Experience with modeling of physical systems in general, MATLAB/Simulink preferred
- Knowledge of linear systems analysis and control systems
- Strong understanding of mechanical, electrical and thermal systems
- Mathematical and advanced data analysis capabilities
- Excellent communication skills, team-oriented attitude
- Ability to work in a dynamic start-up environment where initiative and ownership is a must
- Excellent organizational skills, attention-to-detail, and multi-tasking capability
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Romeo Power is a startup company located in Vernon, CA. just south of Downtown L.A. We design, and manufacture EV battery technology for various electric mobility platforms. Several of our talented staff come from Tesla, SpaceX, Faraday Future, Karma and other known unique and powerful companies. We are a group of highly-motivated and extremely talented staff that is set on launching products that will revolutionize the EV battery industry in power density.