Battery Systems Engineer
The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, cable assemblies, power systems, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking a Battery System Engineer at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse and experienced team in designing High Voltage battery packs for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
- Develop system architectures for battery systems to meet safety, performance, maintenance, and cost targets
- Perform failure mode and effect analysis, hazard and risk analysis
- Design and develop battery system-level behaviors, sequence diagrams, data/signal flows
- Develop HV battery system performance, maintenance, and functional safety requirements
- Coordinate battery system simulation, component sizing, and create subsystem and component requirements
- Create battery system test and validation plans, and create documentation to meet safety requirements
- Work in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary team environment, ensure timely completion of assigned tasks, and facilitate project partnerships
- Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skill-sets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
- A learner: you’re always eager to learn new skills; faced with a new challenge, you apply considerable research skills and diligence to figure it out, though you’re humble enough to ask for help when needed.
- Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
Required Minimum Experience:
- Bachelors or Masters in electrical, mechanical engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience working with lithium-ion battery systems in passenger transportation applications.
- Experience with functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- History of working with DFMEAs, DVPs and other system analysis and development tools.
- Experience with creating models and simulations using MATLAB/Simulink.
- Experience with requirements analysis and development using a requirements management framework such as DOORS.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with large battery system thermal runaway testing and mitigation
- Experience with life cycle management of lithium-ion battery
- Experience in developing a product from concept to production
- Experience in design and analysis of automotive battery packs
- Strong knowledge of battery safety standards