Tooling Designer - Automation
The Automation Team serves to support the development, manufacturing, and installation of hyperloop systems globally. The team specifies, designs, procures, and fabricates a wide variety of automated manufacturing and assembly/installation equipment. The Tooling Designer is an integral member of the Automation Team who provides expertise and capability in tooling and fixtures design related to automation and manufacturing.
The Tooling Designer will be responsible for design and build of tooling and supporting automation projects. The Tool design engineer is responsible for building prototype’s and meet production design needs of the majority of new product development and other conceptual ideas as they are generated.
- Design and build of press tooling, sheet metal tooling, die casting dies, forging dies, rubber and plastic extrusion dies
- Jig and fixture design and build
- Design and modeling of tooling and mold flow simulations as well as sheet metal deep draw analysis for mass production.
- Work with and co-ordinate outside tooling vendors
- Building and testing prototypes, soft tooling and hard tooling design
- Working with internal customers on manufacturability and providing DFM and DFX and cost estimates
- Must have basic knowledge of proximity sensors in Tooling design and build
- Working with automated systems to deliver fully integrated manufacturing solutions
- New equipment layouts as needed based on production methods.
The candidate must be an experienced engineer with demonstrated talent and capability in mechanical design. The candidate should have a strong grasp of engineering physics and mechanical intuition, as well as familiarity with standard manufacturing and fabrication processes. He or she must be an excellent communicator, and thrive in a high-energy, quick-moving, and interdisciplinary workplace.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated talent and track record as a tool designer
- Experience designing press tooling, sheet metal tooling, and stamping tooling for metal parts
- Experience designing fixturing and hard tooling for manufacturing
- Experience using Unigraphics NX, SolidWorks, or equivalent CAD software
- Mastery of engineering drawings and tolerances
- Understanding of GD&T, Y14.5M-2009
- Broad knowledge of PLC’s and Press CAM activated in die transfers.
- Material handling automation for parts coming out of tooling.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS or higher in engineering field
- 10+ years as a Tool designer role in production and R&D environments.
- Demonstrated experience in tool making
- Experience in building tooling for complex parts
- Mold flow, sheet metal simulation software experience.
- Composite tooling and thermoforming experience
- SPE guidelines for mold builds, Scientific molding experience will be a bonus.
- Lean six sigma certification and Lean manufacturing experience.
- Machine design and machine integration experience
- Experience in designing tooling for plastics, composites, and ceramics
- Machine shop experience
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.