Senior UI Designer (Contractor)
INTO is a premier digital magazine for members of the LGBTQ+ community launched in 2017 by Grindr, and is aready the biggest and best source for LGBTQ+ stories and news. Over the last year, INTO has grown from a modest blog to a robust publication reaching over 10 million users per month.
At INTO we are ready to take the next steps in the evolution of the site, with the goal of positioning it to be as progressive as our content. We and are looking for an immensely talented Senior UI Designer to help us envision the next phase of the INTO brand and help us develop a world-class digital presence on both desktop and mobile web.
During this 3 month contract, the Senior UI Designer will work with product, editorial, UX, and engineering to overhaul INTOmore.com, conceiving of creative new templates that better package our content and enhance our storytelling and brand identity.
The ideal candidate will have solid experience in web UI design with strong knowledge of what modern responsive web sites can and cannot do as well as how users interact with them. Candidates must have a portfolio demonstrating interfaces that push creative boundaries and present engaging experiences. We’re looking to push boundaries and break rules-- think about sites like TheOutline or Quartz. We want INTO to be accessible-- 80% of our visitors are on mobile devices-- but also immersive and intuitive.
- Develop compelling design concepts for INTOmore.com for both desktop and mobile platforms (and everything in between).
- Conceive of new templates that elevate and emphasize content, and which drive deeper engagement and session length.
- Work to round out the INTO brand and ensure that the entire site experience reflects the values, tone and idiosyncrasies of what INTO represents.
- Collaborate with UX designers to research, test, and revise designs with real and potential users.
- Develop a comprehensive brand book outlining brand requirements and mark usage.
- Build animatics and interactive prototypes that illustrate complex UI behavior.
- 5-10+ years experience in mobile and responsive web design, ideally with an emphasis on sites with significant text and/or video content.
- Expert familiarity with web-based video technologies and video UX.
- Ability to design concurrently for desktop and mobile web, and an awareness of grid-based layouts and graceful degradation.
- Experience working with CMS-driven backends (Wordpress, Drupal, etc).
- Experience working in collaboration with UX designers and adapting designs to prioritize good UX.
- Strong understanding of UX fundamentals and experience conducting user research and testing sessions.
- Strong knowledge of image and design asset optimization and how to economize to reduce page load times.
- Experience in the media industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with remote/foreign-based engineering teams preferred.
- Ability to execute quickly and iteratively with high product requirement ambiguity.