Senior Manager/Strategist, Artist Insights, Catalogue
Global Insight is a 15+ staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. The Artist Insight team leads strategic insights and research for Universal Music Group's esteemed record labels and business units. Our department supports marketing, commercial, and A&R label teams for a range of artists; from emerging acts to global superstars.
This role is based in LA and will support UMG catalog campaigns (led by UMe) reporting directly to the Artist Insight Director supporting the Artist Insight team.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog and special markets entity for UMG. Working in concert with all of the company's record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a concentration of resources, opportunities in new technologies and an emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives to engage all types of consumers across multiple entry points and platforms.
In this role, you will get the chance to work directly with the UMe team, working on a variety of artists and genres.
This role calls for an enthusiastic and pro-active team player and music enthusiast, who will be researching and tracking the audience of our catalog artists, connection drivers, audience perceptions and engagement across key markets to derive actionable insights that are presented to the marketing teams at UMe, directly influencing release campaigns and audience development.
- Lead and manage Catalogue Artist Insights quantitative and qualitative projects from start to finish including:
- Qualitative projects: Study design and strategy, recruitment, discussion guide development, fielding interviews/moderating groups, analysis and reporting. Projects will include, for example: artist proposition development, artist DNA exercises, concept testing, and new product development.
- Quantitative projects: survey design, project management (project set up, managing fieldwork, crosstabs set up and updating databases), analysis and reporting.
- Leverage the range of internal tools and data sources available to complement projects (social tools, sales data, analytics, etc.)
- Manage external survey platform supplier relationships, in terms of timelines, project progress, and cost and time optimization, to guarantee the delivery of results to the agreed timelines.
- Manage 3rd party tools relationships (e.g. YouGov, WGSN), in terms of staying up to date with the latest product developments, best-practices, and championing the tools across the labels
- Work closely with the whole Global Insight team, collaborate and work as part of one team
Essential Skills & requirements
- At least 6 years of experience in an insight/research role, with an extensive quantitative and qualitative research experience and contacts in the field.
- Experience in quantitative research, including survey set-up and design, sampling techniques, data analysis (cross tab analysis), report writing.
- Proven experience moderating focus groups, conducting field interviews and workshops. Expertise with innovative ways of conducting qualitative research.
- Comfortable with large data sets and social media listening tools analysis.
- Well versed with creating themes and summarizing large open-ended survey responses.
- Ability to bring data to life in an intelligent and compelling way (storytelling).
- Ability to provide recommendations based on analysis of multiple data sources.
- Experience in innovation and brand strategy.
- Experience in entertainment or media; understanding of the macro trends in the music business.
- Experience with SPSS or statistical programs a plus.
- Confident, analytical, pro-active, creative individual able to work in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, project management
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Excellent presentation skills, both deck design and client meetings
- Keynote, visualization, design, presentation of reports) and Excel expertise is essential
- Right & left side balance i.e. comfortable with words and numbers
- Passionate about the music industry - not just music, but the music business
- Naturally curious and inquisitive about consumer behavior
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Team player, can-do approach, proactive attitude, creative
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.