Senior Database Engineer
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
At Hallmark Labs, you will work with developers and business stakeholders to understand the business needs for data and create, maintain, and monitor secure and highly performant databases. You are passionate about data and not only enjoy data schema design, but are comfortable with various DB tools and types of databases. You know that good data and well designed and maintained databases are critical to any business.
The job involves the following responsibilities:
• Design, develop and maintain multiple databases
• Database performance tuning
• Establish database development standards
• Collaborate with fellow data engineers, take authoritative design and ownership of data projects
• Document systems, code and processes as necessary
• Perform database load testing and benchmarking.
• BS in Computer Science or a related field of study
• 5+ years of professional experience as a Database Engineer
• 5+ years of professional SQL, data modeling and performance tuning experience
• 5+ years of disaster recovery and backup experience in a professional setting
• Familiarity with microservice data schema design
• eCommerce experience
• Experience with AWS
• Experience with MySQL
• Familiarity with creating ERDs using various tools
• Familiarity with iterative software development
• Experience with high availability configurations
• Experience analyzing issues from the application tier to database.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Cards, Inc. and its subsidiary companies will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Hallmark does not generally provide sponsorship for employment. Employment by Hallmark is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, signing of an agreement to arbitrate in connection with the Hallmark Dispute Resolution Program, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, education verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
To be considered an applicant for this position you must show how you meet the basic qualifications of the job in a resume or document you upload, or by completing the work experience and education application fields. Accepted file types are Microsoft Word (DOC or DOCX), PDF, HTML, or TXT. Individual file size attachment limit is 10 MB.
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we’re near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.