Senior Data Engineer
Greater LA Area
Are you looking to get in on the ground floor as a founding member of a data team? Are you looking for an opportunity to influence technology choices and direction? If having an immediate impact on ChowNow’s business sounds good, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position:
As a Senior Data Engineer at ChowNow, you will be responsible for ChowNow’s data platform, built on AWS. You will implement the data pipelines that populate the data warehouse from business-critical data sources, as well as contribute to design of the next-gen ChowNow data ecosystem. You’ll have a direct impact on ChowNow’s business by ensuring continual data availability and accuracy for analysts and business users.
Reports to VP of Engineering.
About the Team:
At ChowNow we are driven by one purpose: to provide restaurants with the tools needed to compete in an increasingly technical world. Our products help restaurants get online quickly and easily so they can maintain direct relationships with their customers. As the world evolves and new technology platforms emerge, we will be there to help our restaurant clients stay up to speed online.
We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor!
Within 30 Days, You'll...
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience)
- Get to know the current state of data at ChowNow, from original source to the data warehouse to visualization and reporting.
- Work closely with the Data Analyst team to understand the data and reporting needs of the business.
- Learn ChowNow’s engineering practices by contributing a change to the code base
Within 60 Days, You'll...
- Take ownership of the current data warehouse and ETL process
- Contribute changes to the data pipeline to improve availability and timeliness of data
- Understand the other data sources in use by the Data Analyst team
Within 90 Days, You'll...
- Take ownership of all data ingestion code
- Begin the plan for the future of the ChowNow data platform
- Participate in interviewing new team members
You Should Apply If...
- You have experience building ETL pipelines into a data warehouse
- You have experience with using Python in a production environment.
- Your SQL and relational DB experience is excellent
- You have experience with AWS technologies
- You are able to gather data from a variety of sources and interfaces, including REST APIs
- You have experience working in a high-volume data environment such as e-commerce
- You have 5+ years practical engineering experience, with most recent experience focused on data engineering
- You enjoy iterative, agile development process with frequent releases
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the Engineering Team
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others
- You are excited about new technologies, and at the same time pragmatic when it comes to adoption of the latest innovations
About Our Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
ChowNow is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. ChowNow will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
Read Full Job Description