Director of Data
Greater LA Area
NEXT Trucking is a venture-backed company boldly taking on the challenge of digitizing the $800B freight trucking industry. Our technology is transforming the way shippers and truckers engage and communicate by creating a platform where shippers can instantly find truckers with capacity and have real time tracking updates and transparency with the movement of their freight throughout the entire shipping process.
NEXT was founded by Lidia Yan and Elton Chung with over 20+ years of experience in logistics and technology. We have raised a total of $125M from investors like Sequoia and Brookfield. We have assembled a team with experience from companies such as Airbnb, Amazon, Apple, CH Robinson, Google, Salesforce, Snap, and Uber. Come join us as we innovate the transportation industry.
About The Role:
At NEXT Trucking, we provide painless freight to shippers that fit the lifestyles of our carriers. Data science is crucial to this mission, as data is a key part of our ability to match shipments to carriers on our marketplace, predict and mitigate freight service failures, and guiding our sales and operations teams to obtain the optimal supply and demand. We have rich datasets of previous freight loads that were matched on the marketplace and tracked through their delivery, as well as of the broader logistics industry.
We are looking for a director of data science to build a team and maximize the value of data to NEXT Trucking. You will be responsible for building NEXT’s capabilities to harness data for impact and making strategic investments across a range of problem spaces. As the most senior member of the team, you will have a strong understanding of technologies available and how to position data scientists to have maximum impact in an organization. As a leader, you will be a role model in vision, empathy, and integrity.
What You'll Do
- Make and enact a plan to help all business units make data informed decisions.
- Grow the team and tools that will allow NEXT to get maximum value out of its data assets
- Manage communication of data strategy and execution across the organization, including executive stakeholders
- Make strategic trade-offs between building technical foundation, understanding and driving new opportunities, and developing core competencies of the business
What You'll Have
- Strong belief in the mission and business opportunity at NEXT
- Able to set up areas of ownership across team members to meet business needs while creating space for strategic data investments and innovations
- Passion for management and creating opportunities for career growth for team members
- Understands at what depth and breadth to invest in data science opportunities for data science to drive impact at NEXT
- Can recruit and retain candidates to build a multi-talented, diverse team
- Compelling communicator and evangelist of data
- Understanding of available technologies for building modern data science capabilities
- Strong background in core data science skills (data engineering, analysis, modeling, and machine learning)
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Base Salary + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K w/ company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description