Director of Data Science
Here at Wpromote, one of the nation’s leading digital marketing firms, we invite you to “Think Like A Challenger” and push our clients to take on the 800 lb. gorillas of their industries. Our crew of 300+ digital marketers breathes in marketing and exhales ROI, and we challenge our clients and ourselves each and every day to surpass yesterday’s expectations! Our award-winning campaigns have helped hundreds of companies from startups to Fortune 500 brands thrive. If you’ve heard of Toyota, Verizon, Dickies, TOMS, Wienerschnitzel, or Zenni Optical, you’ve heard of our clients. And we want you to join us in making our clients even better.
If you’re not already convinced, our amazing perks have made us one of the Best Places to Work in the US two years running according to Ad Age, and one of Los Angeles’ best places to work 5 years in a row. Here’s why:
- 80% coverage of basic medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Traditional 401k and/or Roth 401k matching.
- Quarterly team social events, birthday celebrations, chili cook offs, holiday half days and summer half day Fridays, and more.
- Yoga sessions once a week to help you de-stress and recharge. Stretch it off; it’s the new norm.
- Unlimited PTO and an innovative Work From Anywhere policy that gives our employees freedom to stretch their wings - and catch the cable guy.
- Coffee, tea, juice, and cereal. A vending machine that has every snack imaginable.
- Fresh fruit Mondays, Veggie Tuesdays, Yogurt Wednesdays, Throwdown Thursdays, and Bagel Fridays!
- Dog friendly office. Seriously.
- Beautifully designed and modern office: standing desks, outdoor seating, courtyard, and breakout rooms.
- Break time: ping-pong, shuffleboard, and Bocce ball. Any time is break time.
- But wait, we have more! We have electric full body massage chairs so you can work while getting a massage.
Wpromote is the largest independent agency in North America and has built a leading-edge, fast paced Digital Marketing machine with 5 offices across the country. As "Player-Coach", you will lead the Data Science team (one of the 4 teams within the Digital Intelligence team) on developing ways to scale from ad-hoc models to large-scale learning solutions for our clients. You will provide direction to the Data Science team, and also understand the relevance of outcomes for our client’s businesses and the guidance required to inform their Digital Marketing strategies.
You Will Be
- Managing a group of 2-5 Data Scientists, focusing on both skill growth as well as achieving business objectives.
- Providing clear, direct feedback to members of the team on technical decisions and solutions development
- Taking ownership of key workflow areas and provide read-outs to leadership on potential problems, opportunities for improvement, milestones around long-term initiatives, etc
- Launching data science solutions for real-world applications within the realm of Digital Marketing -including understanding and predicting customer behavior, ad performance, and attribution -amongst others
- A data science expert that will navigate the various Digital Marketing platforms, their functions, the types of data they can output, and the existing solutions available within the market that may serve as a catalyst for the development of our own solutions
You Must Have
- M.S. or Ph.D. in statistics, math, economics, computer science, information science, data science or other quantitative fields.
- 5+ years’ experience with Python, Scala, or Java and distributed frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Scientist with a proven track record of leveraging analytics and big data to drive significant business impact.
- Experience with applied machine learning or algorithm development.
- Experience in managing Data Scientists / Engineers.
- Strong communication skills, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrable successes in delivering data-driven products, including being involved in all aspects of the product development life cycle.
- Ability to work beyond familiar algorithms - to get out of one’s comfort zone and earnestly seek to integrate the best solutions to business challenges.
- Sincere interest in working towards the data-driven future of digital marketing within a fast-growing organization.
- Proven ability to context switch between in the weeds work and higher level alignment of a team.
Nice To Have
- Work experience within the digital advertising or MarTech field.
- Solid knowledge working with marketing and/or user acquisition data across a variety of industries.
- Working experience with data visualization or BI solutions, such as Tableau or Google Data Studio.
- Experience with cloud providers like AWS, or Google Cloud data management solutions