Data Test Engineer
Who We Are
Pluto TV, a Viacom company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 100+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
Viacom creates entertainment experiences that drive conversation and culture around the world. Through television, film, digital media, live events, merchandise and solutions, our brands connect with diverse, young and the young at heart audiences in more than 180 countries.
For more information on Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com. Keep up with Viacom news by following us on Twitter (twitter.com/viacom), Facebook (facebook.com/viacom) and LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/viacom).
At Pluto TV, we approach testing differently -- we are testing, and breaking, code constantly, but we help rebuild it better. Data Test Engineers (DTE) test and verify Pluto TV’s analytics events across all applications. This role is a DTE with a focus on Data Quality. In this role you will apply your QA, Data Quality, and SQL experience to manually test the firing of analytics events and verify those events in downstream databases or files. This DTE will work with Business Intelligence analysts and developers to make sure data quality and integrity is maintained as new events are added to applications. The position requires strong QA experience with a focus on data, knowledge of data pipelines from raw data to reporting, and demonstrable SQL skills. The DTE will also act as a representative of the Software Test Engineering Team in scrum meetings, and work alongside product management to address how to provide better quality coverage for the applications supported.
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Work with project teams implementing analytics features into client applications and verify the firing of those analytics events by manually working with devices or initiating scripts.
- Verify capturing of analytics events in related file systems or databases through SQL, or a scripting language (Python, Java, shell scripting, etc.)
- Work with Business Intelligence and Product Management to create test strategies, plans and cases that provide acceptable coverage for a given data pipeline, from event creation to reporting.
- Perform data profiling on downstream data for the purposes of finding field anomalies and possible data quality issues.
- Work in an Agile Software Delivery methodology, highly focused in creating data validation tests based on requirements.
- Work with other members of Data Test Engineering to compile a regression test suite that can be executed quickly.
- Help create a manageable, repeatable strategy for manual test cases.
- Provide a risk assessment on the defects identified and set the correct priority and severity.
Qualities / Experience We're Seeking
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years of Quality Assurance/Testing experience.
- 3+ years of Data Quality experience, or QA experience with a focus on data, data warehousing, reporting, etc.
- Strong SQL experience, with knowledge of AWS Redshift, Snowflake, or columnar databases.
- Knowledge of analytical functions a plus.
- Experience with reporting or analytics tools like Tableau or Mode.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services, querying and working with data in various AWS services.
- Programming experience in a language such as Python, Java, etc. for the purposes of parsing files and running queries.
- Experience with analytics implementations (network events, ad beacons, user action events, etc.) in a web or mobile application.
- Functional Testing on Native Apps, OTT (Over-the-top), web platforms, a BIG plus.
- 3+ years of testing experience working within an Agile environment, and with Agile Management tools such as JIRA.
Citizens of Pluto TV have the privilege of entertaining millions of people. We are entrepreneurs looking to revolutionize the future of TV. While our planet is small, our ambition is boundless. The stakes don’t get much higher.
Becoming a Citizen is hard work. We need self-starters that thrive in changing environments, who treat company resources like their own, and who deliver seemingly impossible outcomes at warp speed. It’s the only way we stay ahead of the giants looking to take the opportunity we have earned. We are selective but once chosen, you’re in.
Why You Should Become a Citizen of Pluto TV
As stated, becoming a Citizen is hard work but the rewards of citizenship are plentiful. Work with the smartest people on some of the most complex projects of your life, while profoundly impacting both Pluto TV and the broader world of entertainment. Share in the epic quest to define the future of television as we know it. Big commitment, big impact, lasting change.
As a Citizen, you will enjoy generously-sponsored medical benefits, a generous vacation policy, 401K retirement plan, social and team events, and more!
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
At PlutoTV and Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.