Data Scientist - Platform
Can you predict the future (with a forecasting model)?
Inspire’s Data Science team aims to solve some of the most challenging problems in the fields of energy management, business performance optimization, smart home (IoT), and much more. As part of this team, you’ll be responsible for developing and enhancing a proprietary operating model that drives Inspire’s operating performance - enabling us to manage risk, validate strategy and grow our business.
Working with data engineers and analysts, you’ll have deep support and direct access to the data, tools, and resources to consume an ocean of historical data on weather, energy consumption patterns, commodity market trends, and consumer behavior to produce actionable predictions of the future.
The ideal candidate thrives on cross-functional teams and also has the data and scientific chops to crunch numbers, crush code, and deliver rigorously tested and validated models.
Technologies we use:
- Languages: R, SQL, Python
- Frameworks: Shiny, Airflow, DBT
- Infrastructure: AWS
- Datastores: Redshift, Snowflake, PostgreSQL, S3
THE DATA SCIENTIST HAS THREE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proprietary Operating Model Development & Maintenance: The data scientist will work side by side with our senior data scientist to absorb and learn how our core business operating model works from the ground up. The data scientist will contribute to the operating model by developing new features and improving the model robustness and integrity.
- Predictive Models Development & Maintenance: The data scientist will work side by side with our senior data scientist to absorb and learn how our predictive models work and how we use them in the production environment. The data scientist will contribute to the model prototyping, development, and monitoring. Working with the engineering team, you'll package and deploy these models, contributing a critical link in Inspire’s production information flows.
- Continuously Communicate and Support Business Stakeholders: After getting familiar with the business, the data scientist will act as a thought leader in many areas of our business. The data scientist should be able to provide quick viable analytical solutions to complex problems and size the effort properly. Working directly with business and executive leadership, you’ll uncover valuable insights informing optimization strategies related to acquisition, retention, and LTV optimization.
SOME EXPECTED 2019 DELIVERABLES
- Assume accountability for Operating Model Maintenance and Capability Development
- Work within Inspire’s Engineering framework to leverage best practices for code development, code review and QA processes
- Establish processes for model review and maintenance of our production algorithms
- Load forecasting algorithm maintains
- Symphony Operating model maintains 95% daily reliability for processes
- Demonstrated ability to independently assess Operating Model scenarios and their impact on core metrics
- Engineer at heart with high commercial acumen
- Passionate - You are passionate about data, technology, research, and the scientific method
- Analytical - You are a highly analytical thinker with a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and modeling
- MS in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Math, Engineering, etc.)
- Extensive SQL experience
- 2-4 years of experience in Data Science, Machine Learning, and modeling building, such as logistic regression, gradient boosting model, random forest, time series forecasting, etc.
- Experience performing data manipulation and modeling in both R and Python
- Experience managing a software development lifecycle in GitHub and are comfortable with tracking tasks and stories in an agile development framework
- Nice to Have
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Math, Engineering, etc.)
- Exposure to Energy Markets, Energy Management Systems and/or Smart Home Category
- Experience in AWS ecosystem
- Experience with BI tools, such as Tableau
Disrupting the one-size-fits-all utility model, Inspire’s groundbreaking smart home subscription seamlessly combines personalized clean energy plans with best-in-class smart devices. Using the Inspire app, members can self drive their smart homes from anywhere, and select automated settings to use less energy while earning rewards. Inspire strives to make every home a smart home, powered by clean energy. Inspire’s mission is to drive forward a brighter energy future by simplifying consumer adoption of clean energy and smart home technologies.
Through continual innovation and scaling of connected device interoperability; clean energy supply, generation and storage; and intelligent, decentralized grid services, Inspire is building the world’s first fully-integrated clean energy company.
Launched in January 2014, Inspire homes have used the clean power production equivalent of 121 wind turbines since inception. Driven by a team of mission-driven Avengers in Philadelphia and Santa Monica,, Inspire prides itself on a culture of ownership, teamwork and stalwart obsession with “crushing it!”
CULTURE & PERKS
- Inspire’s culture balances the serious nature and tone of a professional company with the move-fast-and-execute tone of a rapidly growing emerging tech company. We believe in working hard and producing, but doing it in a positive and friendly environment where collaboration is rampant. Inspire calls its employees Avengers. It’s a team out to even the score on behalf of the common man, to challenge the status quo and confront apathy and old-world bureaucracy.
- Every Avenger lives for the mission: To build the world’s most customer-focused clean power platform and inspire a connected moment towards a brighter energy future. Avengers are scrappy, restless, humble and committed to balancing passion with purpose and profit.
- Inspire offers competitive compensation and equity packages, plus benefits such as health, vision, life, and dental insurance - Not to mention, unlimited vacation, 401(k) plan, and LOTS of cupcakes!