Data Scientist, Growth
At Tala, we are connecting millions of people to the financial services they deserve. The Data Science, Research & Statistics team operates in a nimble working style, flexing between a variety of business questions and data needs at the company. We are asked to investigate and solve big questions other companies have yet to find solutions for such as digital identity management and understanding customers fully based on their mobile data. You will be part of an innovative and fast growing team that pushes to provide access, choice, and control to millions of customers.
As a Data Scientist, Growth, you will drive our marketing and user acquisition optimization. By tying together our mobile, demographic, and spending data points, you will generate models and insights that will push our strategy around the globe. As we scale and innovate our approaches to reaching new customers, you will validate which generates sustainable growth and develop a deep understanding of our user base. Our social mission allows you to provide quantitatively-driven and socially-conscious decisioning every day.
This role will be based out of our Santa Monica, CA office.
In this role you will:
- Develop best-in-practice Growth attribution modeling and data ingestion tools with guidance from our Growth managers.
- Establish baseline acquisition metrics from key channels, and build functionality to compare A/B test results with hold-out samples in our marketing efforts.
- Improve data capture and create our inferred attribution methodology for offline marketing as we test radio, TV campaigns.
- Evaluate and test our ability to predict and forecast advertising spend in relation to growth within multiple markets.
- Become and in-house expert on our data capabilities and build out a core coding structure for scaling our insights across markets.
- Support ad-hoc data requests and leveling up our Growth Analysts and Data Scientists.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- 3+ years in a marketing or acquisition-oriented analytics position at a high-growth company (or equivalent experience)
- Data driven mindset with advanced degree preferred in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics
- Expertise in at least one analytics language (ex. Python, R)
- 2+ years using SQL and GitHub
- Ability to effectively leverage third-party API and data storage best practices
What excites us:
- Experience with an early stage data science team
- Experience in emerging markets in a professional or personal capacity
- Advanced modeling and machine learning expertise outside of school or Kaggle
- Able to look beyond the immediate deliverable, find the real data problem, and solve for it
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.