Who We Are:
With one click Earny (www.earny.com) gets you money! Every year, online shoppers in the US lose 50 billion dollars in unclaimed money, and we’ve developed an elegant way of returning that money back to our customers. With over 2.4 million registered users, our mission is to advocate for consumers to ensure that they are getting the best price on all of their purchases.
Our simple customer experience means sophisticated back-end decision-making on their behalf. Earny acts as a personal assistant that automatically gets our customers money back on almost every purchase. Earny uses low-latency price tracking to identify the lowest possible prices, and obtains refunds using credit card price protection.
We are headquartered in Santa Monica, CA and are backed by top investors including Science, Inc., Sweet Capital, Comcast Ventures and Mayfield. We’re currently looking for innovative and passionate people, who are eager to make a difference and play a vital role in Earny’s growth and success.
We are looking for a Data Engineer that enjoys empowering teams with insights that can transform into executable business strategies. Ideally, this person would be a data junky that is comfortable diving into large quantities of structured and unstructured data, but also business savvy enough to pull relevant insights and help teams drive meaningful change. This role will work heavily with SQL, scripting languages, third party API’s, and a variety of visualization and reporting tools to develop both regular and adhoc reports for stakeholder consumption. The Data Engineer will report to the CTO and be a part of the Engineering team, but support all areas of the business.
What You’ll Do:
- Automate: Help teams make their workflows and processes more efficient. Build out new tools/features and write scripts as needed that will help drive efficiencies across all teams. Work with teams to automate process and advise/work with operational teams to execute strategies. Help manage our business intelligence tools (e.g. Metabase) by ensuring all data definitions and filters are up to date, and that each department is getting the most out of the systems at their disposal.
- Strategize: Understand business needs and come up with solutions for new problems. Create adhoc analyses, forecasts and business models as needed. Understand business challenges and work proactively with management to discover data insights that enable efficient growth.
- Analyze: You will gather data via our multiple data sources to answer pertinent business questions, gather insights, and present meaningful information and stories back to the team. Create complex SQL queries to mine data from our database. Create and run reports out of Google Analytics and third party providers to perform both regular and adhoc analyses. Aid teams in gathering insights and creating automated reports across their multiple data sources.
- Innovate: Determine and help build the best tools to mine data, automate reporting, and present complicated data insights as intuitive stories to internal and external stakeholders. Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for secondary datasets. Come up with long term solutions to business problems using data
- Communicate: Understand technical problems and communicate them effectively with business teams. Explain the methodology used in analysis in simple terms. Perform regular and exploratory analysis on data and provide insights and regular reporting to stakeholders
Skills + Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or similar
- 2+ years postgraduate experience in data mining and analysis
- Fluency in SQL with experience building views and stored procedures
- High proficiency in a scripting language such as Python, R or other statistical language
- Comfortable with command line scripting
- Strong quantitative, statistical, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Expertise in Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, and other standard analysis tools
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Highly organized, even in a rapidly evolving environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of colleagues and external partners
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience with Metabase or similar open source BI tools
- Managed a data warehouse project, from design to implementation
- Version control experience (e.g. Git/Github)
- Experience working with or as part of fraud prevention or risk management teams
Perks + Benefits:
- Salary, Equity & Health Insurance
- Vacation: Unlimited PTO and Flex Time
- Free Food/Drinks: Catered Meals, plus stocked cabinets and fridge at your disposal
- Rad Location: Our office is in the heart of Santa Monica and has a casual work environment
- Amazing Culture: Happy Hours, Team lunches, Team breakfasts, Weekly Fitness Classes, Game Nights, Quarterly Company Outings