The Black Tux is reinventing the formalwear rental industry so guys can show up at their best on the days that matter most. The company designs and manufactures modern rental suits and tuxedos that actually fit—made of 100% wool, ordered online or in one of our showrooms, and delivered for free. Using a combination of machine learning, tailor-trained fit specialists, and industry-leading customer service, The Black Tux guarantees a perfect fit every time.
We’re looking for a strong data engineer with application development experience who will help design, build and maintain our automated data workflows/pipelines. As a Data Engineer on the Technology team, you will be part of the team automating the ETL processing, analysis, and testing of our data. You’ll need strong qualitative and keen analytical skills as well, working closely with business stakeholders to engineer data to find meaning and insights.
What You'll Do
- Understand and implement data requirements by working cross functionally with engineering, devops, and business stakeholders
- Extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of sources (internal & external, structured & unstructured)
- Evaluate, architect and streamline new and existing data pipelines (we use Fivetran, DBT, Snowflake, AWS Batch, and Jenkins)
- Represent data needs and serve as a bridge between the infrastructure pod and application engineering pods
- Troubleshoot and resolve data processing issues
- Work closely with the application dev team to engage in application design and data modeling discussions with an understanding of impact on data efficiency, security, and reporting
- Participate in developing and enforcing The Black Tux’s data security policies and data standards and conventions
- Support The Black Tux’s data science projects, such as the proprietary fit algorithm and inventory prediction models
- Support in the analysis of customer lifetime value, conversion rates, inventory life cycle data, including utilization, customer turn rate, profitability, and more
Who You Are
- You have at least 2 years of experience in data or software engineering
- You have professional experience using advanced SQL in a cloud data warehouse environment (such as Redshift, Snowflake or Hive)
- You have experience with Python
- You have experience working with business stakeholders
- You thrive in a progressive environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward
- You love freedom and hate being micromanaged.
- Given context, you're capable of self-direction.
- You deliver results quickly with iteration, instead of waiting for perfection
- You are motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education
- Intellectual curiosity and strong personal initiative; you will have a myriad of data sources at your fingertips and lots of challenging problems to solve, so the ability to discern meaningful and impactful from “interesting” is a must for this role!
Benefits and Perks of Working at The Black Tux
- Exciting startup environment
- Weekly catered lunches
- Dog-friendly office
- Complimentary dry cleaning & tailoring services
- Health, dental and vision coverage
- Paid parking
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Open vacation time
- Stocked kitchen & pantry
- Apple equipment or whatever you need to be productive
- Monthly team outings
- Free suit and tuxedo rentals
Skills & Experience That Are A Plus
- Experience with R
- Experience with visualization skills; experience with a tool like Tableau, Periscope, Mode is a plus
- Working knowledge of business statistics and probability is a plus
- Experience with Machine Learning & predictive modeling
- Familiarity with devops & AWS
We're an equal opportunity employer to all. We interview and hire applicants of all backgrounds, orientations, expressions, and identities.
Read Full Job Description