Customer Experience Director
Tala is looking for a highly motivated Director of Customer Experience to help us build and lead a world-class customer servicing and collections process for international markets. Tala is a world leader in providing direct loans and financial services in emerging markets. We are a global team with diverse backgrounds who are singularly focused on using technology, data, and a customer-centric approach to meet the financial needs of the 2+ billion people of the emerging global middle class.
As the Director of Customer Experience, you will work with the global Customer Experience team, manage Customer Service and Collections for at least 2 countries and report to the VP of Operations. The role focus is to help the local team enhance our customer support engagement and our collections practices. A successful candidate will manage with empathy and understand the importance of quality customer engagement.
Strategy & leadership
- Use customer experience insights to assist the Growth/Marketing, Data, Product and Portfolio teams to provide best-in-class customer-centric products and experience
- Identify product improvements and work to optimize offerings and servicing for all customers
- Guide the team and establish metrics and processes to ensure development for scale
- Work closely with other regional Directors to ensure brand consistency globally and total KPI achievements
- Train and support customer experience managers to train and manage each country team of agents to deliver best in class service
Planning & analysis
- Build and implement collections strategy to best improve portfolio performance at early, mid, and late stages
- Lead our customer experience effort by motivating the team to complete projects and achieve KPIs
- Identify clear goals for managers on maximizing productivity and quality of experience for customers while working towards reducing costs
- Develop and monitor performance KPIs and communicate result
- Support and work with regional directors for global customer experience budget for technical tools, CRM, and headcount
Product engagement management
- Design, deploy and report on tests that seek to improve all parts of the customer experience
- Monitor trends within incoming Customer Service requests to proactively isolate and identify areas of concern, improvement, and opportunity. Work cross-functionally to resolve any issues affecting service levels
- Identify and manage implementation of all country-specific tools for successful customer support and collections
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years in customer service and/or collections
- 3+ years experience leading collections or customer service teams, preferably in multiple locations
- Excellent demonstrated interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to motivate and lead multiple teams with service orientations
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic team-player with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Detail-oriented, analytical, and great at solving unstructured problems
- Experience partnering with teams cross-functionally (product, marketing, etc.) to implement product changes
- 3+ years experience managing multiple vendors for customer service and/or collections functions
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in financial services and/or emerging markets
- Excellent motivational, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Passion for testing and analytics
- Comfort traveling to and working in emerging markets.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, dynamically changing environment and excited to bring an energetic, fun and creative approach to your work.
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a [mission-driven] mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. [Unlike traditional credit scoring,] Tala's proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by Forbes, the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others. Tala is headquartered in Los Angeles with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.