Hustle While You Work w/ Initialized & Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian
Interested in building meaningful, high-impact businesses with technology that makes people's lives better?
So are we.
Join us for a discussion on President's Day led by Initialized Capital General Partner & Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian on tech entrepreneurship and what it takes to turn your side hustle into a viable business, all while dealing with a full-time job. He'll be joined by the founders of LA-based startups Open Listings, AdQuick, The Noun Project, and Initialized Partner and TechCrunch contributor Kim-Mai Cutler.
7:00pm Doors open / check in
7:30pm Fireside chat with Initialized Capital's Kim-Mai Cutler & Alexis Ohanian on identifying high-potential startups
8:00pm Panel discussion featuring Initialized Capital, Open Listings, AdQuick, & The Noun Project moderated by Kim-Mai Cutler
8:40pm Panel Q&A
The Panelists & Moderator
- Alexis Ohanian is an expert at product, marketing, community and a prolific early stage investor. He and Garry Tan cofounded Initialized in 2012. He’s cofounder of Reddit, the 4th largest website in the USA, which was funded by Y Combinator in 2005, acquired by Condé Nast in 2006, and he’s now on the Board of Directors. He helped launch hipmunk (YC 2010) and ran marketing + PR until leaving to fight SOPA & PIPA. He was partner for Y Combinator and wrote the bestselling book, Without Their Permission. He has a BA in History and BS in Commerce from University of Virginia.
- Kim-Mai Cutler is a well-respected writer and technology journalist and is in charge of marketing and outreach for Initialized's portfolio companies. She is a columnist at TechCrunch and is best known for her work covering the intersection of tech and SF Bay culture, politics, housing, and racial diversity. She has worked for Bloomberg, VentureBeat, and the Wall Street Journal. She has a BA in Political Science from University of California, Berkeley.
- Alex Farrill is the Co-Founder & CTO at Open Listings, the all-in-one homebuying app. Alex founded Open Listings after he and his family bought their first home and saw the need for centering homebuying around customer experience. Previously, Alex was the Chief Data Scientist at RUN (acquired by Publicis) where he built a mobile-focussed DSP for real-time bidding and analytics systems for cross-screen attribution. Alex holds a B.A. in Mathematics from Columbia University.
- Sofya Polyakov is Co-Founder & CEO of both The Noun Project--the world’s best known collection of over 1 million icons built by creatives from around the world--and Lingo, a simple yet powerful tool that helps teams ensure visual consistency throughout their brands and products. Sofya lives in Los Angeles with her husband (and co-founder) Edward, their son James, and yorkie-maltese named Monkie.
- Matt O'Connor is the Founder & CEO of AdQuick, the only self-service platform for building, buying, & measuring outdoor advertising anywhere in the U.S. Prior to launching AdQuick, Matt worked at Amazon and Instacart, where he helped spearhead expansion & special ops. Matt holds an MBA from the University of Virginia & a BA in Political Science from the University of Notre Dame.
CTRL Collective is located on the 4th floor of 833 Spring St. in Downtown LA (above Verve Coffee). There are plenty of metered parking and pay lots around the space. Otherwise, we suggest using a ridesharing service or taking the Metro to the Pershing Square or 7th Street / Metro Center stations.